Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Unmasked


In the movie, Ever After a Cinderella Story, the king and queen hold a masked ball in their son’s honor.  All the ladies dress up in beautiful dresses and masks intended to enhance their looks by hiding flaws.  All in the hopes of catching the eye of the prince.  Each lady is announced before entering the ballroom.  And, much like us today, rest assured as every lady in attendance turned to see the next woman entering; they summed her up and compared her to themself.

Beginning at a very young age, we compare ourselves to others.  We notice every little flaw, and out of those comparisons, we begin to notice areas of life we struggle with and for some of us, these areas are masked for years as we grow into adulthood. We all have parts of us we don’t like.  We don’t like thinking about it or looking at it, let alone revealing it to others.

We don’t want to take off the mask. We become comfortable with the mask, it feels good, it looks good, it is accepted by family members, church member, and society. To often we try to please man. Galatians 1:10 speaks of this “Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. What if we all dared enough to take off the mask, out of an act of service? Revealing what is accepted and created by our Heavenly Father? Matthew 11: 28 says, “Come to me , all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest..”.  I believe if we follow this command several things will happen…

God will show up giving you rest in your weaknesses

People will accept you knowing they too have struggles being masked

Our community will have authentic relationships

We can encourage others as they too take off their mask

Healing will take place

We will delight in who God has made us to be

I will admit there are many times when I don’t want to take off the mask… there are times when I see what is unmasked and I HATE it. That is when I realize, I need to apologize to the Lord. How can I HATE something He has created? God wants us to reveal His creation, refine his creation and to encourage others He has created! I encourage you to stop hiding His perfect Creation with a mask. Be real with each other. If taking of your mask reveals some deep struggles, it is ok! God will provide the tools it takes to heal them, and refine you.

Back to the movie.  Jacqueline, the kind, free spirited younger step-sister goes to ball with a much different mask on than most of the ladies.  She wears a horse mask.  It fits her personality, it reveals a lot about her nature.  Spunky at times, gentle at times; not perfect, but real and transparent. She wears a mask that isn’t meant to hide her.

Enjoy the true beauty God instilled in you! Don’t be afraid of what lies beneath the mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment