Friday, September 23, 2011

Apple Crisp

Typically when I make Apple crisp at home... I use coconut oil, not butter. Agave not Brown Sugar, Stevia not sugar. Wheat flour not white...But when your cooking in a foreign kitchen it calls for drastic measures and A LOT of creativity. So what did I do without my stable swabs.

For the apples I tossed them in corn starch to create a goo (for lack of better word) Then I added a liberal dash of all spice and tossed it all with some knock off stevia (I don't recommend it). For the topping it was a bit more difficult. I didn't want to use butter, just not a fan of the fat or the diary. So I used 1Tbsp of Canola oil. I mixed it in a bowl with some white flour :( and Oats :). It wasn't wet enough for baking so I needed to get creative.... Honey check! Still not wet enough. As I searched the kitchen high and low for a healthy alternative to my loved coconut oil and applesauce. I found it! Orange Juice! My grandma uses OJ in place of fat in her pies! So I splashed some OJ in the mix! It was perfect. It added the liquid I needed and the sweetness it was lacking!


So all in all the crisp turned out... I just don't think I would do any of it again except the OJ.

In other news... Our beloved capital view was gone this morning! Its the first day of fall and you can tell by the low clouds and the low temps!

We are hosting a party tomorrow night so I am off to spend the day prepping for it! Cheers to a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment